Background

Friday, August 19, 2011

A Little Discussion...

All my girls at FIDM are so tired of me harping on a certain issue, one that I feel is truly important, and I thought I'd get some input from all of my loyal Subbies and Blogging friends.

I'd like to introduce you all to a totally awesome, super fun, hip boutique called Brandy Melville. I love this store! I am completely enthusiastic about it, but I have some issues with the Visual Merchandising in the store. Now, I'm not talking about the clothes here - no, the clothing is fabulous. I'm talking about the little knick-knacks they sprinkle throughout the store for decoration.

At first glance, the store is cute, fashion forward, and is designed to draw us little fashionistas right on in...BUT (yes, there's a BUT), upon closer inspection you notice that there is very Conservative propaganda scattered as decoration throughout the store. I was completely blown away as I saw multiple copies of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand for sale, as well as copies of "Commentary" magazine, Heritage Foundation and Cato Institute publications, and University of Chicago Economics treatises.

Don't know who Ayn Rand is?  Yeah, neither did my ENTIRE History of Costume class. I'm a bit older than my peers, but I would have at least thought they would have had an idea who Ayn Rand was. I'm not judging, I don't judge, but it's important we educate ourselves concerning politics, especially where it concerns fashion. I openly admit that I am proud to be a Progressive Liberal and I have a pretty good idea what that means *winks*

Anywho, I'm going to give you a very brief history concerning Ayn Rand. Ready? Okay.  Here's a Wiki-burst: Ayn Rand, a Russian-American self proclaimed Objectivist published her most acclaimed and famous novel Atlas Shrugged in 1957 in the United States. She developed a philosophical system called Objectivism. Rand advocated reason as the only means of acquiring knowledge. Her philosophical beliefs were and are influential to Libertarians and Conservatives. The gist? There are Producers and those that suck the life from those that produce... get what I'm saying? In other words, the middle class and poor leach off the rich and destroy, destroy, destroy. In OTHER other words, the Republican platform.  Rand was completely delusional, in my humble opinion. Don't we all want affordable health care? Must everything be privatized?

Okay, enough of my rant... Leaving aside Ayn Rand, I just want to point out that I believe there is a line that should NOT be crossed concerning political views and fashion. Some of you are going to want to strangle me, because we all know fashion is influenced by all things - even politics - but I don't want to walk in a boutique and have Conservative propaganda thrown in my face while I'm shopping. Of course, I'm not blind to stores that support equal rights campaigns and other liberal agendas, such as Lush Cosmetics, but at least I don't have to walk around Lush and see "Who is John Galt" bumper stickers on every surface.

I'm at a loss, because I feel like I can't shop at Brandy Melville anymore because it completely goes against what I believe. What if some of my purchases go directly to conservative campaign funds? It's not unheard of. Upon interviewing some of my classmates and friends, the majority all had NO clue who Ayn Rand was, what a Libertarian is, and why they should care. At the end of the day, if you're unaffected by such propaganda, good for you, but be in the KNOW. Please, do your research. Take some time to read a paper. Come on girls, we're smarter than that. Lets try to be aware of what we are supporting and what it means for our country... even through fashion :D

I will say, I think the store has the most brilliant business plan. All the clothes are made from the same fifteen different fabrics, so they all go together, everything is one size fits all, and the pieces are totally easy to wear and accessorize.

See?  I do have nice things to say.









Peace, Love, and Pixie Dust!
Whitney

2 comments:

  1. Right on! I was in that store with my wife and noticed the propaganda too. Totally offended and, though my wife loved the clothes, we left without buying a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so weird to see all of that propaganda upon their walls! All the while, the thirteen year olds below have no clue what is being processed in their brain! Scary! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete